Directors Minutes September 11th, 2021

Directors Minutes September 11th, 2021

Posted in:

Minutes of a meeting of the directors of SIRRA held by Zoom Saturday, September 11, 2021

Present:  David Osborne, President and Secretary, Mairead Boland, Vice-President, Ron Hall, Treasurer, Helen Wale, Jeanne Crerar, Serban Craioveanu

Regrets:  Michel Chiasson

Guests:  Robert Alloway, Pat Carney,

1,  The meeting was called to order at 10:35 by the chair, David.  After some orientation to Zoom protocols by Mairead, David welcomed everyone and thanked them for attending.  A quorum was noted.  Our presence on traditional territory of the Coast Salish peoples was acknowledged with thanks.  A moment of contemplation was taken in memory of Harvey Janszen of this island who passed away in this year.  His work for SIRRA on our website was gratefully remembered.  Robert Alloway was introduced as a candidate to become a director at the AGM to follow.

2.  The agenda was approved by consent as circulated.

3.  The minutes of June 23, 2021 were approved by consent as circulated.

4.  Business arising:

a.  Mairead provided an overview of current issues with the Islands Trust, including that first hearing of the new draft Policy Statement was successfully delayed, with the support of SIRRA; an update on the management review and on the proposed tree-cutting bylaw powers now set for debate at Trust Council meeting September 21; a provincial ban on new docks, and the provincial funding for a review of the Trust development application process.  Lots going on and she recommends the Board meet soon to review these issues in more detail.

b.  Ron and Mairead reported that we currently have 146 members on the list, not all of whom may be paid up to date.  Renewal notices will go out soon. SIRRA has had as many as 225 members in the past and so we need to renew and expand our efforts to recruit new members.  The recent campaign resulted in five new three-year memberships but there has been little uptake on our current standing offer of free one-year memberships for new people.  Extensive discussion of ideas for engagement ensued.  Jeanne will follow up with Mayne Island for workable ideas and report back.  The Board should address this issue soon.

5.  Ron delivered his Treasurer’s report as attached to the AGM minutes and circulated in advance. Moved by Ron, seconded by David that the report be accepted and presented to the AGM to follow this meeting.  After discussion, carried.

6.  There was no other business.

7.  The meeting was adjourned at 11:30 without setting a date for the next meeting, which is agreed to be sooner than the usual 2 months.