SIRRA Directors Meeting December 10, 2016 Final Minutes 1
SATURNA ISLAND RATEPAYERS AND RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION (SIRRA)
Directors Meeting, December 10, 2016
Present: Joan Hoskinson, Tom Johnstone, Michael Fry, Bill Schermbrucker, David Osborne, Jeanne Crerar
Regrets: Ron Hall
Absent: Charles Burslem
1. Call to Order at 10:35 am
2. Approval of Agenda Proposed order of policy drafts was adjusted; IR7 meeting summary item: add under new business. Changes were approved as amended.
3. Adoption of minutes, of 10Sep2016 Corrections were made to name spellings and Tom Johnstone's name was added to the committee working on draft policies. Motion by David /Bill to accept the agenda as amended. Carried
4. Officers Reports
President Joan Hoskinson noted the positive relationship has been forged with the Saturna Community Club in planning the information session held on November 26. Joan expressed regret that, "due to time constraints, must step down as President and director. I thank the board for its support during my tenure".
Joan's resignation was acknowledged with thanks for her past commitment to SIRRA.
Discussion; ongoing role of liaison with SCC and SIRRA on issues of shared interest.
Motion by David /Bill that the board ratify the decision of the President, contrary to the intent of the board, not to send the letter referred to in item #5. of the minutes of September 10, 2016 to the Tsawout & Tseycum bands and the Community Club. Carried Membership Survey (Bill) - The member survey has been sent out using Survey Monkey. So far 21 responses have been received. Main issues identified in order of frequency were : 1. Ferry schedules; 2. Roads; 3&4 were tied. Logging plans and Property taxes; 5. Alternative energy options; 6. SIRRA list serve. Discussion followed regarding possible purchase of the enhanced Survey Monkey service plan for future surveys.
5. Document Storage (David) - Past documents are currently stored with Horne Coupar
SIRRA Directors Meeting December 10, 2016 Final Minutes 2
legal office in Victoria. David suggested having the documents sent to him for managing so they would be more easily accessible. The new Society Act as of November requires preparing and filing transition documents. This is an opportunity to review existing bylaws. David would be designated as the holder of the society records at his address.
Motion: David/ Michael, to change the location of the Registered and Records Office of SIRRA from Horne Coupar law firm to the Corporate Secretary of SIRRA and that the Corporate Secretary become the contact person. Carried
David will expedite this process and report back to the Board.
6. Guest Policy (Ron, Tom, David) - Wording of the policy was reviewed. Discussion related to addition of an initial statement welcoming guests, that notice of quarterly Board meetings be posted on the list serve for SIRRA members, and the processes to be followed including a protocol for inviting input from guests wishing to speak. David will incorporate the noted modifications into the policy.
Motion: David/ Bill to adopt the redrafted statement on Guests as SIRRA policy. Carried
7. In Camera Policy (Ron, Tom, David) - The draft policy was discussed as presented with one clarification to item 2. (ii) to insert "Corporate" Secretary as the person who takes minutes for the In Camera part of the meeting.
Motion: David/Tom, to adopt the In Camera Policy as amended. Carried
8. Remaining Draft Policies: In view of time and other issues on the current agenda, the remaining draft policies will be brought forward to the next meeting. These are: Electronic Attendance at Board Meetings; Code of Ethics and Conflict of Interest; and Communications Protocol.
9. New business: Resignation of Directors Motion: David/ Michael, that the resignations of Susie and Joan from the SIRRA board be accepted with thanks. Carried
Joan will send a letter of thanks to Susie. David will send a letter of thanks to Joan. David will also file a notice of Change of Directors.
Nomination committee - role to recruit new board members as well as to put forward a roster of candidates for the AGM. Michael offered to do this with Ron Hall.
IR#7 Meeting Summary - Request to encourage Morgan Yates to post his Scribbler articles on the SIRRA list serve: Jeanne will approach Morgan with this suggestion.
SIRRA Directors Meeting December 10, 2016 Final Minutes 3
10. Next meeting, March 11, 2017 at 10:00 David agreed to chair the meeting. Specific date and plans for the AGM will be discussed at that meeting.
11. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 12:35pm