SIRRA Directors Meeting June 4, 2016 Approved 1
SATURNA ISLAND RATEPAYERS AND RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION (SIRRA)
Directors Meeting, June 4, 2016
Recreation Centre Mezzanine
Directors Present: Joan Hoskinson, Tom Johnstone, Ron Hall, Bill Schermbrucker, Michael Fry, Jeanne Crerar
Regrets: David Osborne , Susie Washington-Smyth
1. Call to order- Joan Hoskinson called the meeting to order at 10:05am and welcomed new Director Tom Johnstone
2. Approval of agenda - approved with addition of Communications, Membership and Member survey to the committee list.
3. Approval of minutes, 13 May 2016 item 5.1 wording correction: change "policy" to SIRRA constitution. Approved as corrected.
4. Election of Officers:
President - Tom nominate Joan Hoskinson for President. Approved by acclamation.
Vice-President - There was discussion of possible candidates. No one present was willing to stand. Joan shared that she will not be continuing at the end of her term so a VP must be willing to step up to fill that role. Bill nominated Susie, contingent on her acceptance to stand. Bring forward as Unfinished Business.
Treasurer - Michael nominated Ron Hall as Treasurer. Approved by acclamation.
Corresponding Secretary - Possible options were discussed. Bring forward.
It was noted that this position differs from that of recording secretary which in this situation is a contract position.
Issue: there are two officers elected(President and Treasurer) with others suggested but outstanding until confirmed and/or other nominations are put forward. This can be addressed at a special meeting to deal with this as Unfinished Business. Discussion of issue relating to conducting business electronically followed.
5. Committees - usual committees as well as suggestions from the AGM were itemized.
Ferries - Ron volunteered and will liaise with Ferries Advisory Committee
Roads - Michael will do local road liaison, Susie will liaise with MoTI
Property Taxes - Tom/Ron
SIRRA Directors Meeting June 4, 2016 Approved 2
Health - Jeanne
First Nations development (raised from floor of AGM) - Tom
Wildfire/Ranger (raised from the floor at AGM) It was noted that Ron H is already the SIRRA
representative on the Parks Liaison Committee so he will be able to monitor this.
Communications - Michael (membership & local communication)
Survey sub-committee - Bill S/Jeanne /Michael
Membership - tba; put on the agenda for each meeting
Michael (welcoming packages)
Clarification of committee roles: Tom suggested a short term committee to document what is
involved for each committee - role, authority, terms of reference for each. There is no official
focus for communications / liaising with our elected political representatives. Jeanne and Tom
will work together on this. Possibly David as well. and also funnel through the President as
6. Committee Reports
Ron - Parks Liaison - originally Parks Canada made a commitment to have staff resident on
Saturna island. This no longer exists. This issue is being addressed by Parks Liaison Committee.
Tom - First Nations issues goal is to liaise with local Islands Trust Committee, whom the First
Nations have chosen to communicate with regarding their plans. SIRRA is willing to liaise with
Local Trustees to gain a firm understanding regarding specifics before reacting. Jeanne
suggested a letter to the Saturna Local Trustees. Tom will draft a letter and circulate to the
committee for approval/input prior to forwarding it to the Saturna Local Trustees.
7. Directors' Resolution documents - not available at present. David Osborne had indicated he will
file these documents, but they do need to be signed by the members of the Board first.
8. Unfinished Business - Community Hall Funding - a formal funding request has been submitted to
SIRRA for a donation in support of the Community Hall renovation project.
Motion: by Tom Johnstone/Bill Schermbrucker, that SIRRA donate $500 to the Saturna
Community Hall restoration project.
Motion to amend: by Jeanne Crerar/Ron Hall, to increase the amount of the donation from $500
to $800. Carried
Discussion related to the broad use by the Saturna community. The Community Hall accommodates
multiple functions of social and cultural value providing significance benefits to the whole
community. Also noted was that the main SCC proceeds of the annual Lamb BBQ go to support
SIRRA Directors Meeting June 4, 2016 Approved 3
the Medical Clinic with limited funds remaining for significant work on the Community Hall itself.
Question on the motion that SIRRA donate $800 to the Saturna Community Hall restoration project. Carried
It was suggestion to request recognition by SCC of the support from SIRRA.
9. New Business -for further follow-up
Proposal to consider amending SIRRA bylaws to allow electronic attendance- Joan will check the Societies Act. Also, check if SIRRA Constitution may already allow for this.
Discussion of developing a communications protocol relating to public communications by Board members : by whom, criteria
Board vacant position - With Dian's resignation there are currently 8 members on the Board. The constitution allows for up to 9. Consider what talent or skills that are needed on the committees; someone who is here and willing to work on SIRRA activities.
10. Special Meeting of Board - June 25 at 9am, short meeting at Bill's home, 362 East Point Road.
11. Meeting adjourned at 11:50 am