SIPOA Directors Meeting July 13, 2013
SATURNA ISLAND PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION
DATE HELD: Saturday, July 13, 2013
LOCATION: Home of Bill Schermbrucker
Saturna, British Columbia
Board Members Present: Bill Schermbrucker, Eva Hage, Ron Hall, Michael Fry, Susie Washington-Smyth, Valerie McMillan, Ingrid Gaines
Regrets: Ron Monk
Meeting was called to order at 11:10 am.
1. Approval of Agenda:
Susie Washington-Smyth moved approval of the agenda. Carried.
2. Minutes of April 7, 2013:
Ron Hall moved acceptance of April minutes as circulated. Carried
3. Board Positions and Responsibilities
a. President -Bill Schermbrucker
b. Vice-president- Eva Hage
c. Corresponding Secretary/Communication - Michael Fry/ Bill Schermbrucker
e. Membership Director - Valerie McMillan
g. Board Member - Taxation and PILTS - Susie Washington-Smyth
i. Treasurer - Ron Hall
j. On-line Manager (listserv & website)- Susie-Washington Smyth & Ron Hall
k. Board Member - Roads- Susie-Washington Smyth
j. Board Member - Ferries - Eva Hage
k. Board Member - Parks Canada - Ron Hall
l. Recording Secretary - Bev Lowsley
4. Annual Planning Document
Survey - Susan Jamieson-McLarnon has offered to flesh out a member questionnaire regarding what they would like addressed as priorities this year. Ideas of suggested topics? Would members like the board to explore water catchment / water conservation.
SIPOA Directors Meeting July 13, 2013 2
Repeat low flush toilet initiative? Susie suggested to have it distributed in late September (a shift from February to September on the planning document).
Traditionally in summer a marketing campaign has been done (low flush toilets, water conservation brochures). Susie suggested for this year a mail out to all property owners who are not members describing the successful initiative relating to PILTS. This could also include the SIMRES brochure. Bill and Susie will draft this in consultation with Ron regarding any financial impacts. Valerie will review the list of Saturna property owners.
The Meet and Greet at the pub shall be on September 15 between 2 - 3:30pm. Valerie will arrange with Ian to order appies plus no host bar. Michael will put an item in the Scribbler and posters around the community.
Membership of non-property owners who are resident on Saturna may need to be revisited with a clearer definition of resident. Susie will include an item on the questionnaire of whether to revisit the issue since the vote was so close. Bill will work on a re-draft to clarify the statement of the issue.
Valerie has contacted previous members whose membership has expired. There are still a number who have not paid yet. Those who have not paid will be notified that their name is being deleted from the membership list.
6. Harris Road Update
Nothing further since Bill's report at the AGM. Susie will make contact for an update. The area near Barry Crooks' mill is badly in need of work. This needs to be addressed as well as the section down to the vineyard.
7. AGM Evaluation
The presentation by Art Chambers was very useful. Having extra copies of his information hand-outs for distribution to interested members who may not have been able to attend was appreciated. SIPOA needs to meet with the new person who will take over taxation issues. Susie will get in touch with him in the fall for further discussion. Eva would like to have a comparative breakdown of the tax rates and services on the other Gulf Islands.
8. Filing Annual Report
Filing the Annual Report occurs after the AGM. Ron will follow up and take care of this.
SIPOA Directors Meeting July 13, 2013 3
9. Other Business
a. Road issues, brought forward: The allowance at East Point Rd. between the library and the crest of the hill does not allow adequate space to safely pass pedestrians. There is a rough path but it is not easy to use especially for people with luggage or who are pushing a bike or baby carriage. Michael will contact Pat Ropars about this.
b. List serve issues -The Sunset Road discussion of suggested speed bumps will be dropped as an issue. It was noted however, that the signage is not adequate. Michael will also discuss this with Pat Ropars.
Michael commented that the recent round of discussions on the SIPOA list serve re personal issues may be alienating people from joining or staying as members of SIPOA. Reminders have been posted about netiquette in the past. Michael will include this in the fall Scribbler item. It was also pointed out that the SIPOA calendar will be up soon for event posting.
10. Next Meeting: Oct 19 at 11am at Bill Schermbruker's home
11. Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 12:25 pm.