SIPOA Directors Meeting October 19, 2013
SATURNA ISLAND PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION
DATE HELD: Saturday, October 19, 2013
LOCATION: Home of Bill Schermbrucker
Saturna, British Columbia
Board Members Present: Bill Schermbrucker, Eva Hage, Ron Hall, Michael Fry, Valerie McMillan, Ingrid Gaines, Ron Monk
Regrets: Susie Washington-Smyth
The meeting was called to order at 12:20 pm.
1. Approval of Agenda
Additions to the agenda: 9.a letter re advertising on list serve; 9.d Police Liaison Committee;
Agenda was approved with additions.
2. Minutes of July 13, 2013 Board of Directors Meeting
Ingrid moved acceptance of July 13 minutes as circulated. Carried
3. Board Member Reports, updates, Issues, Comments
3 a. President -Bill Schermbrucker reported that he has spoken with a past ombudsman re the usual process for submitting issues of concern. A concern had been raised regarding the recent cancellation of a ferry sailing. This will be discussed later.
3 b. Vice-president- Eva Hage will address other issues below.
3 c. Corresponding Secretary/Communication - Michael Fry did meet with the Robert Stuart about the issue of speed postings on Sunset Blvd. He indicated that it is a matter of enforcement. If more signage is required that is the responsibility of Ministry of Transportation. Also, regarding roads, Michael has spoken to Pat Ropars about the issue of a pedestrian path on the rise between the library and Carefree Court. He has not had any response. It was suggested that this is probably also a Ministry of Transportation responsibility. He will contact them about both issues.
Michael wrote an item for the October Scribbler. He has also agreed to send a copy to Ron H. who will post it on the SIPOA website. He requested that committees send him any information which would be relevant for submission to the Scribbler.
SIPOA Directors Meeting October 19, 2013 2
3 d. Membership - There are 204 paid up memberships of 500 properties (potential members). Valerie McMillan has sent out reminders to members in arrears. She and Susie went through the list and pulled out 12, some of whom are long time residents. When several of these people were approached they indicated that they never look at the information or have other priorities. After numerous contacts others have still not renewed. Various strategies were suggested which Valerie can include in a membership recruitment letter. Bill and Eva will work on this letter with her.
3 e. Board Member - Taxation and PILTS - These items will be discussed further, below.
3 f. Treasurer - Ron Hall has no financial report. He did note that SIPOA is "in the black".
3 g. On-line Manager (listserv & website)- Ron Hall reported that the listserv is now set to respond to the writer, not to all members. Also, the calendar is now up on the website. There was discussion of linking the event calendar to the listserv but that may trigger excessive emails, creating increased annoyance. It was suggested that Ron send information on how to access the event calendar for Michael to include in a Scribbler item.
3 h. Board Member - Roads- It was noted that numerous Saturna residents are adamant that the private section of Harris Road not be put on right of way. There is still a definite need for work on the section closest to the community. Bill will draft a letter clarifying the details and will send out an email so all committee members are clear on the issues.
3 i. Board Member - Ferries - Eva reported that consultation is coming up soon. BC Ferries operational people have no idea what the Ministry of Transportation has in mind regarding ferry cuts. There have been meetings with coastal communities. The message they are receiving is that the government has no additional funds for ferries so fares will continue to increase and cuts can be expected. As part of the government budget consultation process the Ferries Advisory Committee has produced a document addressing the issues. This will be posted on the listserv and also on the SIPOA website.
Eva also explained the background of the recent cancellation of the early morning ferry. Her understanding is that an unanticipated staffing issue resulted in last minute cancellation of a sailing. Approaching the ombudsperson would not produce any positive outcome. There are far bigger issues at the moment. There was consensus that Bill should not approach the ombudsman about this situation.
SIPOA Directors Meeting October 19, 2013 3
The provincial Ferry Advisory Committee have developed a document addressing issues relating to budget consultation process. Eva will post this information on the website/listserve.
3 j. Board Member - Parks Canada - Ron Hall reported that the new director has arrived but a date has not yet been set for specific discussions. Bill also noted that SIMRES is also wishing to meet with her. It seems that the earliest possible meeting will be in December.
4. Annual Planning Document
Eva has reviewed the responses to the questionnaires regarding priority of issues. Priorities came out as roads, ferries, taxation and local economic development. Michael wondered what SIPOA's role might be without imposing on the Economic Development Team. It was suggested that the basic role might be to support that group and lend our voice to lobbying in support of shared concerns.
With regard to taxation, to what degree are we going to take on a review of all forms of taxation and whether we get value for money? We need specific data. Ron M, Eva, Ingrid and John McMillan will start work on getting a broader base of information. The AGM presentation by Art Chambers is a good starting point. Eva will start a review of CRD and Islands Trust tax information.
Ron Monk will contact Michael Vautour at Dockside Realty if there have been any sales/ new residents of Saturna Island. Susanne Middleditch has sold some properties but Ron thinks they are undeveloped land.
6. Harris Road Update
Susie has taken on this file. The area near Barry Crooks' mill is badly in need of work. So far there doesn't seem to be any headway.
7. AGM Evaluation
No specific issues needing discussion.
8. Filing Annual Report
The Annual Report has been filed with the legal firm of Horne and Coupar and their bill has been paid.
9. Other Business
9 a. Use of Bulletin Board for Chimney Cleaning Arrangements
Historically these things have been communicated by postings on the bulletin board at the store. Is it appropriate to use the Listserv in this way? Some people resent
SIPOA Directors Meeting October 19, 2013 4
the amount of email they get through the listserv. We don't want to drive members away.
Motion: At the present time in the absence of other electronic means of advertising, members may use the listserv to inform other members of special business offers or events of interest to other islanders. Moved by Ron M, second by Michael. Carried
SIPOA members will be asked for feedback on this process after it has been in effect for a period of time.
9 b. Vandalism
Situations of vandalism to signs, theft of water, theft of buoys in Boot Cove. These events have been reported. This issue is not directly related to SIPOA.
9 c. Recreation Centre Financing
As a member of the Rec. Centre board Bill has been asked to look into deficit financing of the Saturna Recreation Centre and implications for putting the Rec Centre on the tax roll.
9 d. Police Liaison Committee
Ron H. has brought forward a request for the Police Liaison Committee to make their mandate available to the public. This is particularly relevant because there is discussion of setting up a similar committee on Galliano Island which may be similar to the one on Saturna.
Motion: Ron moved that he be appointed to represent SIPOA on the Police Liaison Committee subject to them having their mandate and terms of reference available. Carried
9 e. SIPOA at the Pub
Attendance at the event this year was down and it was questioned whether the date or time were influences. Is it still relevant? This will be brought forward for future discussion.
9.f Accountability of Representation
Bring forward to next meeting.
10. Next Meeting: March 1 at 11am at Bill Schermbruker's home
11. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 2:25 pm.